The purpose of this tutorial is to demostrate step by step on how to add a virtual host domain name in the Webmin Control Panel. I use these steps frequently whenever I purchase a new domain and have to add a domain for my new site in my virtual server on the cloud. My friend also uses these steps because he has a server with Amazon with CentOS linux. I have never tried it on a windows server, but I would imagine it works the same since the configuration changes you are making are within webmin and not the operating system itself.
If you purchased a dedicated server from Webune. You can install an Open Source Domain Name Control panel for free, its called webmin, Webune Dedicated Servers are Reliable - to add a domain name to you server this is the procedure:
1. login to your webmin panel:
2. click on Servers then BIND DNS Server
NOTE: if you get: The primary configuration file for BIND /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf does not exist, or is not valid. Create it? - select 'Setup as an internet name server, and download root server information' and then go ahead a click the 'Create Primary Configuartion File and Start Nameserver' button. Once you have clicked on the button, you will see the icons.
3. under 'Existing DNS Zones' click on 'Create master zone.' and populate the following fields: -
4. When you click on 'Create' button, it will create your zone and it will direct you to 'Edit Master Zone' page. In the 'Edit Master Zone' page, click on the 'Address(0)' button:
5. In the 'Address Records' page, populate the following: -
6. Now that we have added your domain name to your DNS server, its time to create a virtual host in your Apache server so in the Servers category, click on 'Apache Webserver' link
7. When you are in the 'Apache Webserver' section, click on the 'Create Virtual Host' tab
8. Populate the following fields: -
9. After you have created the virtual host, you need to save the changes. there is a link "Apply Changes" click on it.
10. Thats it, now you can test it by accessing your new website: //www.example.com